You are here
The Open Road: 50 Best Road Trips in the USA (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
In Stock, Click Title for Location
Get inspired and get ready to hit the road with the ultimate guide to America's best road trips! The Open Road: 50 Road Trips in the USA features:
- Strategic lists and road trip options: Choose from lists of the best coastal drives, cross-country journeys, trips for kids, awe-inspiring views, and more
- Flexible itineraries: 50 different road trips organized by region gear you up for any adventure, from a weekend getaway to a cross-country trip
- Can't-miss stops from coast to coast: Leaf-peep along the Blue Ridge Parkway, look for wildflowers on Arizona's Apache Trail, or gaze at the mysterious Marfa Lights blinking over the West Texas desert. Snap selfies with kitschy roadside attractions along Route 66, cross the Continental Divide in Colorado, and fall asleep to the sound of crashing waves at your campsite in Big Sur
- The best local flavors: Eat your way through Vermont's farms, dairies, orchards, and maple houses or indulge in gulf shrimp and fried okra in the South. Sample oysters and craft beers in Oregon or stop for shave ice along the scenic Oahu Coastal Loop
- Expert advice from seasoned road-tripper Jessica Dunham
- Comprehensive planning resources: Easy-to-use maps, helpful info on things to do, lodging, and dining for every route, clear directions to each route's starting point,and tips for minimizing your environmental impact along the way
- Gorgeous, full-color photos and a fold-out map
- Essential tips for health and safety on the road, navigating weather conditions, strategies for road-tripping with kids and four-legged friends, and playlists and podcasts to soundtrack your adventure
About the Author
Jessica Dunham lives in Phoenix with her husband and two spunky dogs, but inherited a family summer home on Lake Champlain in Vermont. This seemed heavenly to her, until she tried to imagine getting there from halfway across the country. Then it required some effort and a little imagination. The only way to transport the herd from one place to another was to pile into a Jeep and drive.
On these drives, she came to appreciate the spontaneity a road trip provides, pulling over for a fruit stand or stopping to take pictures at a scenic overlook, as well as the sense of discovery. This is how she first encountered Route 66. It's also how she explored the Finger Lakes of upstate New York, followed the prairielands of Nebraska, dipped into the cornfields of Indiana, carved through Kentucky (with a stop at a distillery or two), and drove the Ozarks of Arkansas.
Formerly a travel guide editor at Madden Media, Jessica is now a freelance travel writer. She is also the author of Moon Route 66 Road Trip. Her writing has been featured in PHOENIX magazine, Valley Guide, Phoenix Travel Guide, Arizona Visitor's Guide, Midwest Living, Phoenix New Times, Modern Luxury, Annapolis Visitors Guide, Connecticut Visitors Guide, Runner's World, Jane, Discover South Carolina, and more.
Coming Events - Lively Times At All Three Stores
12/01/2021 - 6:00pm
12/04/2021 - 12:00pm
12/04/2021 - 4:00pm
Nashua - In store event with Damien Kane Ridgen discussing his books, Bell's Codex and My Magnum Opus12/05/2021 - 12:00pm
12/05/2021 - 2:00pm
12/09/2021 - 6:00pm
12/11/2021 - 2:00pm
12/11/2021 - 2:00pm
12/11/2021 - 4:00pm
12/15/2021 - 6:00pm
Sign up for our emails
Enter your email address here to sign up for our occasional emails and you will automatically receive a 20% off coupon you can use on your next visit to one of our stores.