You are here
The Wild Robot (Hardcover)
On Our Shelves Now
Other Books in Series
This is book number 1 in the The Wild Robot series.
- #2: The Wild Robot Escapes (Hardcover): $16.99
Wall-E meets Hatchet in this New York Times bestselling illustrated middle grade novel from Caldecott Honor winner Peter Brown
Can a robot survive in the wilderness?
When robot Roz opens her eyes for the first time, she discovers that she is all alone on a remote, wild island. She has no idea how she got there or what her purpose is--but she knows she needs to survive. After battling a violent storm and escaping a vicious bear attack, she realizes that her only hope for survival is to adapt to her surroundings and learn from the island's unwelcoming animal inhabitants.
As Roz slowly befriends the animals, the island starts to feel like home--until, one day the robot's mysterious past comes back to haunt her.
From bestselling and award-winning author and illustrator Peter Brown comes a heartwarming and action-packed novel about what happens when nature and technology collide.
About the Author
Peter Brown is the author and illustrator of many bestselling children's books, including Children Make Terrible Pets and The Curious Garden. He is the recipient of a Caldecott Honor for Creepy Carrots!, two E.B. White Read Aloud Awards, a New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book award, and a Children's Choice Award for Illustrator of the Year.
Praise for The Wild Robot:
A New York Times Bestseller
An Entertainment Weekly Best Middle Grade Book of the Year
An Amazon Best Book of the Year Top Pick
An IndieBound Bestseller
ALA Notable Book for Children
New York Public Library Best Books for Kids Pick
Kirkus Best Children's of the Year Pick
School Library Journal Best of the Year Pick
Bank Street College of Education 2017 Best Children's Book of the Year
2018 Sunshine State Young Readers Award List Pick
"Brown has written a lively tale that is sure to engage young readers."—The New York Times
"Roz may not feel emotions, but young readers certainly will as this tender, captivating tale unfolds."—The Washington Post
* "[Peter] Brown's picture books are consistent bestsellers and critically acclaimed. Expect readers to go wild for his robot-themed novel."—Booklist, starred review
* "While the end to Roz's benign and wildlife is startling and violent, Brown leaves Roz and her companions--and readers--with hope. Thought-provoking and charming."—Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "This strong debut middle grade novel by the acclaimed picture book author/illustrator is a first purchase for most middle grade collections."—School Library Journal, starred review
* "Brown's middle-grade debut, an uplifting story about an unexpected visitor whose arrival disrupts the animal inhabitants of a rocky island, has a contemporary twist...Brown wisely eschews a happy ending in favor of an open-ended one that supports the tone of a story that's simultaneously unsentimental and saturated with feeling."—Publishers Weekly, starred review
"Roz is not easy to forget."—The Horn Book
Coming Events - Lively Times At All Three Stores
Peterborough - a history of the railroads of the Monadnock Region with authors Bradford Blodget and Richard Richards02/29/2020 - 11:00am
~ KEENE ~ Becky Field presenting & signing A Photographer's View of Cultural Diversity in New Hampshire02/29/2020 - 1:00pm
02/29/2020 - 2:00pm
03/04/2020 - 6:30pm
03/07/2020 - 11:00am
03/07/2020 - 11:00am
03/07/2020 - 3:00pm
03/18/2020 - 6:30pm
Peterborough - Andrew Krivak discussing his new novel "The Bear" set at the foot of "the mountain that stands alone". Recognize it?03/21/2020 - 11:00am
03/21/2020 - 11:00am
Sign up for our emails
Enter your email address here to sign up for our occasional emails and you will automatically receive a 20% off coupon you can use on your next visit to one of our stores.